Sunday 18 August 2013

Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt Block 26

I did it. I made the first block for this sampler quilt. I probably should have started with a simpler one using only rectangles, but I didn't.

This was my first time making Half-Square Triangles (HSTs). I like them, but they are definitely one of the more challenging things I have tried. This block had lots, so lots of opportunities to succeed... And lots of opportunities to practice my stitch ripping skills.

Things I learned doing this block:
1. Direction that you press your seams is KEY. Some of mine worked well. Others are a mess (I was being pretty consistent until I added the squares, then it got out of hand).
2. I am sewing with Grandma's Elna again, and it does pretty good, but I miss having a needle up/down function. And it seems a little jumpy when you first start stitching.
3. I am pretty good a scant 1/4 inch seam until the last 3 stitches then I tend to veer into the block.
4. My block that was suppose to be 6.5 inches square is only 6 1/4 inches. Leaving very limited seam allowance for attaching it into a quilt with 6 inch blocks. Oh well. I think I may make another one of these further down the road when I have done more HSTs.

Without further ado:
Here is my Cut Glass Dish:


Thanks for stopping by to read and enjoy the rest of your weekend. 
GeoMama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like chocolate, I can always have more.