Wednesday, 14 January 2015

WIP Wednesday: Handsewn Holiday and Wedding Prep

Since my last post sewing has been happening (just very slowly) as December was busy until Christmas and then we went away on holidays. Since getting back I have been trying to get projects finished but I am also less than 60 days away from being a married lady (ack.. so much left to do!) so there has been more wedding prep than sewing.


First off, before Christmas I managed to piece and put borders on 2 paper pieced blocks designed by Some Archaya from http://www.whimsandfancies.com/. Both the piano and the electric guitar came together very nicely despite being a crazy amount of pieces. The plan was to have these quilted into pillows in time for a wedding gift but I was too exhausted to finish before the event. They will receive them before they have been married a month though, so that should be just fine.



I found that not wanting to baste in my unfinished basement was a big hurdle, but I finally bit the dust and did it last weekend. Since then I have been quilting pillow tops and backs. Echo quilting around the guitar and piano and then just simple lines in the borders.


Also just before Christmas I did a small commission project. A simple diaper cover, suspenders and bowtie for a friend's son's first birthday. She wanted to do a cake smash photo shoot and have him all dressed up. It was pretty quick once I got going and she loved it. 



Just after Christmas we went away to the mountains and I had a lovely time hand sewing all week. I sewed whole new block for Project Seventy-Two as well as 2 setting triangles. I was a little short on fabric but managed to finish a day after getting back. I also ran out of half-hexie papers for English Paper Piecing and had to scavenge out of the middle of the block to finish the edges and setting triangles.


This block brings the total to 4 blocks and I am finally starting to think about the bigger picture and what I want this quilt to look like. But I am not ready to share what that is just yet. All I can tell you is that I need ALOT more half hexagon papers and way more time. 


Finally, I have been slowly sewing away on my wedding flowers. I have about 30 completely done, and another 35-40 sewn that don't have centers yet. I have no idea how many I actually need for each bouquet, but for sure I need 5 bouquets and some extras for boutonnieres and corsages. 



Once pillows are done for my cousin it will be time to make a flower girl dress for Monkey and a ring bearer pillow for LB to carry. I am very excited to start on both projects and hope to have them both done by mid-February so I can relax for the month before the wedding.


Thanks for having a look and Happy New Year!
GeoMama





Wednesday, 10 December 2014

Things I love

My sewline glue stick and how it makes foundation/paper piecing so much easier.


 And fantastic patterns, like the paper piecing ones from Soma Archarya from www.whimsandfancies.com

And both my Add-a-quarter and Add-an-eigth rulers


And watching a block grow from a seemingly random collection of tiny pieces of fabric


And I love it all even more when I only have to use my stitch ripper once!


Have a Grand Wednesday and thanks for taking a look. Check back in the New Year to see where this block is going.

Linking up with Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social and Lee at Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday. 

Happy Holidays
GeoMama

Thursday, 27 November 2014

I strongly dislike hemming

The last few weeks have been amazingly slow in the sewing department. I have finally finished making curtains for the kids bedrooms. They weren't difficult but it took me 3 times longer than I thought it might because I was easily distracted every time I finished hemming one of the edges. Not that hemming the edges was hard, I just don't enjoy it.




This was my first time using grommets and I was pleased with how easily the plastic snap together ones worked. I am just not thrilled with the finishes some of colours.


The curtains for both kids' rooms are just quilting cotton which although its not ideal for drapery the prints were perfect and I got the yardage at a great price.


Both Monkey and LB loved posing for pictures with their curtains after they were hung.



GeoDad and I had a weekend away last weekend and I spent a ton of time stitching hexies together for my Not Your Grandma's Garden Quilt. I pieced 8 rows of 12, and sewed 3 of those rows into a block that will easily attach to the main piece.


The other thing keeping us on our toes is demolition and remediation in the basement. We found mold when we first moved in and had a crew in cleaning it up last week. Along the way they also found asbestos so the project keeps getting more expensive and is taking more days. Good news in all of that though is that I have been able to sew a bit in the mornings while I wait for them to arrive.



This morning I took Tycho's old ratty collar cut off all the hardware and made her a new one. It was pretty easy as I had some webbing that I recycled out of my infant carseat which had expired and the LQS had duponi silk on sale during the summer. The collar is very pretty but won't last long if we let her wear it when she wrestles with my brother or mom's dogs.


I will probably go back into blogger silence for the next few weeks as I have some secret sewing to do before the holidays. Then when the new year starts I have a couple projects that will need to get done for my March wedding. And if blog is quiet I have a hard time not sharing photos over on instagram! Follow me @geomamaquilts for sneak peaks of secret sewing.



Happy Thanksgiving to the American's reading this and thanks for stopping by.

GeoMama