I have been busy finishing up my flowers for my silly little hexagon project. The last time I posted about this project was mid-July and I had sewn 44 flowers together. I now have 52 in total and have basted the first 48 white on white hexagons to go around the batik flowers. I also got the flowers laid out on the design wall. I have considered doing a traditional Grandma's Garden layout, but traditional isn't really my style. I came across the pattern Bloom by V& Co. and it spoke to me, but since I had already basted ~300 hexagons, I figured I could use their pattern as inspiration. So here is the first draft on the design wall:
My initial thoughts now that it has been up for a few days, is that it needs to be both slightly longer and wider to achieve the balance I want. The 3 hexagons trailing down to the bottom right corner are going to get moved, but I'm not quite sure where to yet. I also have 3 more peach flowers that I wasn't finished sewing when I put everything else on the design wall.
Here are a few of the white on white prints that I plan to use. A whole bunch of these are from the awesome fabric sale I went to in the spring at a Red Deer church. There was one bundle I picked up that had 8 - fat 1/8ths and a half yard all of different white on whites. I think the bundle cost me about $2. I can get 32 hexies out of a a fat 1/8th and 112 out of a half yard. I also have a few fat quarters that I have found along the way.
Here are a few of my white on white prints:
Since I don't want to handsew all the time, I have found a new project for machine piecing. I didn't want to spend any money on fabric and I wanted to learn some new skills, so I am starting a Farmer's Wife Quilt using some of the bits and pieces of fabric I have collected along the way. The Farmer's Wife Quilt is a sampler quilt of 111 different blocks made by Farmer's wives in the 1920's. I'm not sure this will be a quick finish, but it will be something that I can have on the go with the simple goal of making a few blocks now and then as I have time. I have 2 m of the pink, orange and yellow fabric in the center of the photo so that will be my base for choosing colors. The small bits are all fat quarters, most of which I used a bit of for Monkey's curtains in her room in Whitehorse.
Linking up to Freshly Pieced for Work in Progress Wednesday.
Have a great week everyone. Thanks for stopping by to have a look