Wednesday 9 July 2014

WIP: Dr. Who Mini Quilt

Last week I received a swatch of Spoonflower's newest fabric, Faux Suede, which I intend to use as the top of a ring bear pillow for my wedding next year.

I was surprised to see a second envelope in the mail, and thought it was a happy coincidence that a swatch with a Dr. Who themed print had arrived just days before a friend from the Yukon was going to be driving through on his way to move to Quebec. This friend is the one who I first watched Dr. Who with. He and his wife are lots of fun, and definitely not normal. So making them a nice square wall hanging just didn't seem right.


I took the square swatch and added 3 wonky improv borders.

Then stitched in the ditch.

And finally added echo quilting with my walking foot around the tardis.

It was finished up with a super skinny binding.


It was a blast to sew something so unique and know that it would be appreciated. (I was giddy, and bouncing in my chair while I finished it).

This itsy-bitsy wall hanging has sides that range in length from 13-15 inches and was quilted with all purpose polyester thread because it was the color I wanted. The Faux Suede feels super nice, but I wouldn't choose to quilt with it again because you can't really iron it, and it was not very friendly to get nicely pressed seams with cotton.

I am linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday and Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social.

Thanks for having a look and I hope you are all sewing something that makes you giddy.

GeoMama


3 comments:

  1. Great work. And what a perfect gift. Not to mention great Dr. Who fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tardis wall hanging is great. I must show it to my son :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a thoughtful and super cute gift! This piece is sure to be appreciated! Thanks for sharing your experiences working with the faux suede.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like chocolate, I can always have more.