Friday 22 February 2013

A silly little project: hexagons

Since the sewing machine is out for repair I think it is time to start a hand sewing project. I enjoy hand sewing, but don't do much of it. I have been thinking that it would be nice to have something small to work on when I have a few minutes while kiddos nap or while I am watching TV.

I want vibrant colors, which I think this set of fabric will cover (Artisan Batiks: Elementals Collection-Geos by Lunn Studios) . This is a set of 40 2.5inch wide strips of fabric. Should be easy to work with for my project.

So many fun colors... maybe I will started with the yellow.

All set and ready to get started cutting
I am going to be doing some English Paper Piecing. You can't just easily sew hexagons together with the sewing machine, so to start you make some paper hexagons to fold the fabric over. I found some great tips hereherehere and here. Then got to cutting my paper templates (1 inch hexagons) and my fabric (2.5 inch squares). 

I only cut 60 paper templates and 34 fabric squares, but it should be enough to get me started. I basted one together just to see how long it might take me. First one was super slow.



Stack of fabric squares, stack of paper hexagons and one basted fabric hexagon!!
I doubt I will update often on this, I think it is going to take a long time before anything noteworthy is produced from these little guys.

GeoMama



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like chocolate, I can always have more.