Sunday 17 February 2013

Work in progress: LB's quilt part 1

As I mentioned in my first post (The first blog) I made curtains for Monkey's room before she was born. Since LB arrived I have been thinking that I need to make something for him as well. Since we only have a 2 bedroom house the kids will be sharing when LB moves out of our room and I do not need another set of curtains for him. So I am making him a slightly big than crib size quilt.

It took me a long time to find the right fabric. There is tons of cute flannel, but most of it is either really girly or really gender neutral. Very little flannel that is good for little guys. I had looked online as well in quilt stores that I came across while traveling around Christmas time.

Finally after a couple months on the hunt I found this line (Reptile Rumpus by Northcott) in a shop near where GeoDaddy grew up. Woohoo... it was perfect!!!! I had a pet lizard growing up, I love the color orange, its boyish but not typical (cars, trucks, robots, etc).

The next part of the hunt was on. I had the fabric, I needed a pattern. Monkey had 2 Great Aunts make her raggy blankets out of flannel, and I really liked them, but felt that with all the blocks the same size I would lose alot of coolness of lizard print of the fabric line.


Week old Monkey napping with me under one raggy quilt.
4 month old Monkey napping on the other raggy quilt.

I went searching the wonderful internet and came across this tutorial ( Make it:Rag Quilt for Baby) by Jenae at I Can Teach My Child. Her instructions were clear and easy to follow with lots of nice pictures to help along the way. 

I gotta go, kiddos are waking up from their naps. More to follow on LB's quilt.
GeoMama




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like chocolate, I can always have more.