Saturday 18 May 2013

Monkey's Birthday Skirt

A while back I ended up at a charity fabric sale at a local church. All fabric was $1/meter. I picked up way more than I probably needed to and GeoDad asked what I was going to do with all of it.

First I made a dress for my niece.
Monkey trying on her cousin's dress
Then I made a skirt that I hope would fit Monkey, but it was a bit too small so I gave it to a friend who has a daughter Monkey's age as well a newborn girl. It was a bit of trial and error, but it has given me the confidence to tackle something a little more complicated.

The skirt barely covers Monkey's bum, and I had to really fight to get in onto her.
After the last couple crazy weeks I thought I should ease myself back into sewing so I made a couple new soother clips for LB.
I am a big fan of the train ribbon that I used.

Then I got to work on the next project out of the almost free fabric is going to be a birthday skirt for Monkey. I picked the green and pink broadcloth and set to work cutting strips, and sewing them together to make a set of stripes. Then I cut all set of the stripes into 7 different widths. 3/4 inch to 2 1/4 inch.
The end of the set of the stripes, forgot to take a picture earlier.

Nice variety of widths. 

Next I am going to sew all those strips back into a useable length of fabric and it will be a skirt that fits Monkey (I hope). I probably could have made progress on that tonight, but instead I searched for fabric online and procrastinated. I probably could have got some stain on the Ugly Hutchling too... but I didn't. Oh well I have lots more weekend to work on both projects.

Enjoy May Long Weekend. Hopefully the weather stays nice for everyone. 

GeoMama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like chocolate, I can always have more.